Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Revolution Resolution

Surely the immediate cleverness of this blog title will be lost on me in a couple days and anyone else if anyone else ever ends up reading this neglected web log. So, here's the explanation. The Earth revolves around the Sun approximately once every 12 calendar months. The consequent phenomenon is a "new year." After the aforementioned months conclude, many people attempt to make a change in their lives. This change is called a "resolution," often referred to as a "new years resolution." So, "Revolution" (Year) Resolution." Get it, dummy?

This is the topic for today because 1) I've presented an English lesson on new year's resolutions six times this week, and 2) It's new years day, and eight years ago to the date I made a resolution nearly identical to the one I'm about to announce (via a never-viewed blog entry). After Emily Ty dumped me when I was a tender 14-year-old, I took it upon myself to start a web journal. I opened an account on a website called Xanga.com, which now seems prehistoric by internet standards. Remember Myspace? Well, Myspace doesn't even remember Xanga. (Most telling, the spell check on this browser recognizes "Myspace" as a word, but not Xanga).

This year's resolution? Why, start writing in this blog, of course! I started that Xanga account in 2004 and didn't stop writing in it until halfway through my freshman year of college, nearly five years later. It was a pretty nice blog, if I may say so my self! That blog wasn't even edited! And, mark my words, this blog sure as hell will be. "Writing is editing," an unnamed wiseman once said. You may call it historical censorship, as I once did, but deleting an excess comma here and there is worlds away from airbrushing a cigarette out of FDR's lips. So edit, I will. This resolution is different, from the other one, the 2004 one. Eight years ago I started a blog, with no goal but to have a blog, but this year I resolve to write in it every day. Big words for a little man who got a B on his creative writing thesis. But I will write, and sacrifice quality - whatever that is - if I must. This blog might be boring. It might be scatterbrained. But, by god, it will be long.

Buckets of kimchi three blocks from my apartment





No comments:

Post a Comment